Team OS : Your Only Destination To Custom OS !!

Welcome to TeamOS Community, Register or Login to the Community to Download Torrents, Get Access to Shoutbox, Post Replies, Use Search Engine and many more features. Register Today!

Locked How to Fix Minimal BASH Like Line Editing is Supported GRUB Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

FARUK_SF

Downloaded
181.4 GB
Uploaded
2.9 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 2 years
i am asing windows 10 ...but same time need linux os that's why i crate bootable usb and boot kali linux live ..but problam is starting then i change my boot option ssd to usb ...it's showing (Minimal BASH like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions) Can any one help to fix it?

and if i setup my pc with new os can i fix is error?
Qg5y0A.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

loader72

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
175.9 GB
Uploaded
2.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 2 years
You did not say what app you used to write the kali image. There is rufus, ventoy or etcher.
Why not try a different program? Good luck. :nod: peace.

juanamm

Uploader
Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
5.7 GB
Uploaded
448.6 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
217 (223)
Member for 5 years
Type exit and then press the Enter key twice. Or press Esc .
Code:
grub> exit

Last edited:

ki_2004

Downloaded
260.1 MB
Uploaded
9.8 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
If Rufus then it allows 2 modes ISO Mode or dd image mode. ISO mode has this issue. Use dd mode instead

ophie

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
59.9 GB
Uploaded
111.9 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 2 years
Let me see if I understand you correctly. You have currently on your system Windows 10. But you would like to use Kali Linux too. So you created a "live" kali install usb. And when you tried booting the usb Kali Installer (or Live usb), you get that "bash" screen. Am I correct? If I am correct, the the problem arose in how you created the Live USB of Kali. so, what Kali iso did you download? what program did you use to create the bootable usb?

ophie

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
59.9 GB
Uploaded
111.9 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 2 years

Prerequisites​

To fix this issue, you would need the followings:

• A live USB or disk of (preferably) the same Linux distribution
  • A working internet connection in the live session
Once you make sure that you have the prerequisites, let’s see how to fix the black screen of death for Linux (if I can call it that ;)).

Fixing “minimal BASH like line editing is supported” Grub error​

The process is simple if you follow the steps carefully (not blindly). You may have to change the partition names as per your system.

Step 1: Boot in to the live Linux USB.

Step 2: You need to find out iif your system uses EFI or BIOS. To do that, open the terminal and use the following command to list your partitions:

Code:
sudo fdisk -l
Look closely in its output because it could be a huge output. If you see something like EFI, it’s an indication that your system has EFI. This information is important in later stages.

You need to note two things here. The partition where EFI is installed (if it is installed) and the partition where root partition is installed.

Step 3 (for UEFI systems only): Now, what you need to do is to reinstall grub.

Mount the root partition first. I am using /dev/sda2 for root but you should change this with what you have on your system:

Code:
sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
If you have EFI system, mount that partition as well:

Code:
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot/efi
Now, the next step is to finally install grub for UEFI system like this:

Code:
sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/boot --bootloader-id=ubuntu  --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/mnt/boot/efi
Restart Ubuntu Linux using this command:

Code:
shutdown -r now
You should have the grub back to normal.

Step 3 (only for non-EFI system): Installing grub on non-EFI system is even easier.

Mount the root partition of Linux:

Code:
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
And then install grub:

Code:
sudo grub-install /dev/sd1
Reboot and it should be fine. :)

NOTE: I don't know if it will work for you with live linux, I'm sharing the link to the source, read carefully and don't do anything if you're not sure what you're doing.
Source:
https://itsfoss.com/fix-minimal-bash-line-editing-supported-grub-error-linux/
I think that's a bit advanced for someone who apparently hasn't used Linux before. from what I understand, he has Windows 10 in his system but would like to try out Kali Linux, so he went ahead and created a live usb installer. but when he boots from the USB, he gets that screenshot above. so, if I understand him correctly, he doesn't have linux installed on his system yet.

juanamm

Uploader
Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
5.7 GB
Uploaded
448.6 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
217 (223)
Member for 5 years
I think that's a bit advanced for someone who apparently hasn't used Linux before. from what I understand, he has Windows 10 in his system but would like to try out Kali Linux, so he went ahead and created a live usb installer. but when he boots from the USB, he gets that screenshot above. so, if I understand him correctly, he doesn't have linux installed on his system yet.
That's what I thought that's why I edited the post and put the note.
I've now seen another solution that seems ridiculously possible, but costs nothing to try.
In the console where the error is marked, simply put the exit command and press the enter key twice.
Code:
grub> exit

ophie

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
59.9 GB
Uploaded
111.9 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 2 years
That's what I thought that's why I edited the post and put the note.
I've now seen another solution that seems ridiculously possible, but costs nothing to try.
In the console where the error is marked, simply put the exit command and press the enter key twice.
Code:
grub> exit
welcome to the Linux world! :)

just try to create the Kali Linux installer/Live USB again. I suggest Rufus. you can also implement persistent storage.

FARUK_SF

Downloaded
181.4 GB
Uploaded
2.9 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 2 years
You did not say what app you used to write the kali image. There is rufus, ventoy or etcher.
Why not try a different program? Good luck. :nod: peace.
i use rufus to write kali

Let me see if I understand you correctly. You have currently on your system Windows 10. But you would like to use Kali Linux too. So you created a "live" kali install usb. And when you tried booting the usb Kali Installer (or Live usb), you get that "bash" screen. Am I correct? If I am correct, the the problem arose in how you created the Live USB of Kali. so, what Kali iso did you download? what program did you use to create the bootable usb?
kali-linux-2022.3-live-everything-amd64 .. to make live usb i use rufus

FARUK_SF

Downloaded
181.4 GB
Uploaded
2.9 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 2 years
Type exit and then press the Enter key twice. Or press Esc .
Code:
grub> exit
QgIYVt.jpg

mobi0001

The Power Is Yours!!!
Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
62.3 GB
Uploaded
11.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
89 (104)
Member for 3 years
Easiest way to do it is as shown in itsfoss (the simpler method via Boot-Repair for a non linux user. However, if you follow the terminal codes, it makes it even much easier tbvh.
On a separate note, I would mount the EFI partition and delete/rename the folder for Grub and reinstall it via Live session.
QgIwdm.png

FARUK_SF

Downloaded
181.4 GB
Uploaded
2.9 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 2 years
Easiest way to do it is as shown in itsfoss (the simpler method via Boot-Repair for a non linux user. However, if you follow the terminal codes, it makes it even much easier tbvh.
On a separate note, I would mount the EFI partition and delete/rename the folder for Grub and reinstall it via Live session.
my main os is win 10 .. can't use linux .. if i try to change is error is showing

mobi0001

The Power Is Yours!!!
Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
62.3 GB
Uploaded
11.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
89 (104)
Member for 3 years
my main os is win 10 .. can't use linux .. if i try to change is error is showing
Okay, in that case try to install Grub on Windows: https://silicophilic.com/install-grub-bootloader-in-windows-10/
If the problem still persists, move the order of boot in BIOS to see how it will boot. https://itsfoss.com/no-grub-windows-linux/

Elzer

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
142.9 GB
Uploaded
3.1 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
32 (31)
Member for 7 years
@FARUK_SF ..if you want to study then use virtualbox

FARUK_SF

Downloaded
181.4 GB
Uploaded
2.9 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 2 years
Okay, in that case try to install Grub on Windows: https://silicophilic.com/install-grub-bootloader-in-windows-10/
If the problem still persists, move the order of boot in BIOS to see how it will boot. https://itsfoss.com/no-grub-windows-linux/
Thank You I will try it

@FARUK_SF ..if you want to study then use virtualbox
ow wow nice idea can you tell me the full detils how can i install kali in virtualbox?

Last edited by a moderator:

mobi0001

The Power Is Yours!!!
Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
62.3 GB
Uploaded
11.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
89 (104)
Member for 3 years
Thank You I will try it
Let know if you need any help mate.
ow wow nice idea can you tell me the full detils how can i install kali in virtualbox?
I will suggest, tread there with caution, as VM is one complex thing. Just be sure to have backups in place, before you make any mistakes. 👍

Elzer

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
142.9 GB
Uploaded
3.1 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
32 (31)
Member for 7 years
Let know if you need any help mate.

I will suggest, tread there with caution, as VM is one complex thing. Just be sure to have backups in place, before you make any mistakes. 👍
VM is h a r m l e ss

mobi0001

The Power Is Yours!!!
Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
62.3 GB
Uploaded
11.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
89 (104)
Member for 3 years
VM is h a r m l e ss
It is harmless, bu the setup is a useless bone knuckle for many. That is why...

FARUK_SF

Downloaded
181.4 GB
Uploaded
2.9 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 2 years
problem solved setup with new os

Status