Team OS : Your Only Destination To Custom OS !!

Welcome to TeamOS Community, Register or Login to the Community to Download Torrents, Get Access to Shoutbox, Post Replies, Use Search Engine and many more features. Register Today!

Tutorials How to Improve Your Ratio

Chuck

🤴 Super Admin
Downloaded
300.6 GB
Uploaded
2.9 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
24 (26)
Member for 5 years
The site rules say:
"You must maintain an overall ratio of at least 0.4.
You must seed every torrent you download, including freeleech torrents, for at least 72 hours.
If you break either of these rules then you will receive a warning and you will not be able to download any more torrents."

Here are some things to consider if you want to maximise seeding time and improve your ratio.

UNDERSTANDING HOW TORRENTS WORK
Start by reading this tutorial to make sure that you understand how torrents work.

EXPECTATIONS

Before we go on you should realise that, when seeding, you should not expect to see your torrents uploading all the time.
Some of your seeding torrents may not upload at all. That is normal. Just keep seeding everything and you will be OK.

Seeding is not the same as uploading.

Seeding a torrent means that you are making a torrent available for others to download.
Uploading a torrent means that you are sending data from the torrent to someone else.

You can be seeding a torrent but not uploading anything.
If nobody wants your torrent then you will not see any uploading.

You cannot upload a torrent if you are not seeding it.
At TeamOS you earn seed bonus points for seeding, even if you are not uploading.

Seeding earns bonus points, even if there is no uploading.
You will earn one point per hour for every torrent that you seed.
Convert your bonus points to upload credit here

Everyone should read What are seed bonus points & why you need them

A torrent client is not the same as a download manager so do not expect to see your whole internet bandwidth being used all the time. Torrents don't work like that.
Your upload and download speeds depend on the people you are connected to. If they have slow connections then your speeds will be low.
If nobody connects to you then you will have no upload at all. There is nothing you, or TeamOS, can do about that.

PHONE OR LANDLINE
For best results, do not seed from a phone. Seed from a landline using a PC or laptop,
A landline will give you a more reliable connection, so more real seeding time.
If you seed from a phone then, probably, you will not be able to receive incoming internet connections.
This will reduce the number of people who can download from you.
PC torrent clients are generally better than phone apps, especially for seeding.
For more information, read this by @Cyler: TeamOS and use of mobile devices for torrenting

CHOOSING A TORRENT CLIENT
Use a popular torrent client such as qBittorrent or uTorrent. They are popular because they work well and there is plenty of support for them.
This page might help you choose one:
https://www.cloudwards.net/qbittorrent-vs-utorrent/
There are many other torrent client comparisons online.

If you must use a different client then make sure that it a proper client and not a general purpose downloader app with some torrent download capability tacked on.
Always use a desktop client. Do not use WebTorrent or any other web client.

For most clients the default settings should be OK for most users.
Do not change any settings that you do not understand.

MAXIMISE SEEDING TIME
Having a torrent loaded into your torrent client for a month is not the same as seeding for a month.
If your client is not actually running then it can't be seeding.
To maximise seeding time you should configure your torrent client to start automatically when your OS starts.
You should also configure it to continue seeding when downloads finish.
Do not configure your client to shut down when downloads finish.
  • If you are using qBittorrent
    • Set the option to enable is "Start qBittorrent on Windows start up".
    • Set the "On downloads done" option to "Do nothing". It is in the Tools menu.
  • If you are using uTorrent
    • Set the option to enable "Start uTorrent on system start up".
    • Set the "Auto Shutdown" option to "Disabled".

VERIFY THAT YOU ARE ACTUALLY SEEDING
People often claim that they are seeding when in fact they are not.
This image shows you what to look at in your torrent client to find out if you are REALLY seeding.
The most important thing is that the tracker is shown as "Working". If you do not see that then you are not seeding.

SEEDING LIMITS
Configure your client to seed every TeamOS torrent to a ratio of at least 1.0
Better still, set no seeding limit at all.
  • In qBittorrent "Seeding limits", uncheck "When ratio reaches" and "When seeding time reaches".
  • In uTorrent, set seeding goal to at least 1.0, or set no goal value.

ENCRYPTION SETTINGS
To maximise the number of other torrent clients you can connect to, configure your client to prefer encrypted connections, but not to insist on them.
  • In qBittorrent, set "Encryption mode" to "Allow encryption".
  • In uTorrent, set Protocol Encryption "Outgoing" to "Enabled" and enable "Allow incoming legacy connections".

SYSTEM SLEEP
If your system goes to sleep then seeding will stop. To prevent this, you may want to inhibit sleep whilst seeding.
NOTE: If you are seeding from a laptop using only its battery for power then disabling sleep is probably NOT a good idea.
  • In qBittorrent, enable the "Inhibit sleep when torrents are seeding" option.
  • In uTorrent, enable the "Prevent standby if there are active torrents" option.

SUPER SEEDING
Do not enable super seeding mode for any torrent. It's purpose is to minimise the amount of data that you upload.
Super seeding is designed primarily for use on initial uploads, not for seeding back after downloading.
It makes uploading slower and will usually reduce the amount of upload you see when seeding back your downloads.
Super seeding is configured separately for each torrent. It is not a global setting for all torrents.
  • If you are using qBittorrent then the option to disable is "Super seeding mode".
  • If you are using uTorrent then the option to disable is "Initial seeding".

VPN AND PROXIES
Seeding through a VPN or proxy is allowed but it is not recommended because it will reduce your upload speed.
If you seed through a VPN or proxy then you may not be able to receive incoming internet connections, which will reduce the number of people who can download from you.

ROUTER AND FIREWALL CONFIGURATION
Is your router properly configured to allow incoming connections? Is your PC's firewall properly configured?
The same port must be open in your torrent client, in your software firewall, and in your router.
If your torrent port is configured incorrectly then your client cannot receive incoming connections and you will see much less uploading.

If all this means nothing to you then let your torrent client configure port settings for you, like this:
  • In qBittorrent settings
    • Enable "Use UpnP / NAT-PMP port forwarding from my router".
    • Do not enable "Use different port on each startup".
    • Set "Port used for incoming connections" to a value in the range 49160-65534. Other port values will probably work but this range is unlikely to be in use for any other apps.
    • Set "Peer connection protocol" to "TCP and uTP".
  • In uTorrent settings
    • Set "Port used for incoming connections" to a value in the range 49160-65534. Other port values will probably work but this range is unlikely to be in use for any other apps.
    • Enable the "Enable UPnP port mapping" option.
    • Enable the "Enable NAT-PMP port mapping" option.
    • Enable the "Add Windows firewall exception" option.
  • For these settings to work, UPnP has to be enabled in your router settings.

If you want to configure your router manually then you need to open the port that you configured as your client's incoming connection port.
The way that you do this is different for different routers so you may need to get hold of a user manual for your router.
In the manual, the process to look for is usually called "forwarding a port" or "opening a port".

There are a number of online pages that you can use to verify that your port for incoming connections is open for incoming connections.
Here are four
https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/
https://canyouseeme.org/
https://portchecker.co/
https://router-network.com/tools/port-checker
Google searches like "port forwarding tester" or "open port checker" should find more sites.

qBittorrent has a "Connection status" icon at the very bottom of its window.
If it is green then you have configured your torrent port correctly.

uTorrent has a built-in port tester.
Select "Setup guide" in the "Options menu". Then run the "Network test".

CONNECTION SETTINGS
This is a tricky one because the optimum settings depend on so many things.
If you ask 10 people for the best setting then you will get 10 different answers.
These are my settings and they work well for me on a typical home broadband connection.

Check the settings in your torrent client because the default values in some torrent clients are too low.
If your values are lower then try increasing them.
If your values are higher then leave them as they are; changing them probably won't make much difference.
  • For qBittorrent
    • Global maximum number of connections: 50
    • Maximum number of connections per torrent: 20
    • Global maximum number of upload slots: 20
    • Maximum number of upload slots per torrent: 4
QBITTORRENT TUTORIALS
https://www.rapidseedbox.com/blog/qbittorrent-settings

SEEDBOXES
Different seedboxes work in different ways. Some will help your ratio and some might not.

If you use a seedbox then our torrent tracker may not even be aware of some of your downloads.
This is because seedboxes sometimes use a process called Data Deduplication (sometimes called Caching).

When two or more users download the same TeamOS torrent using the same seedbox then the seedbox server may download it only once. It then shares the data with all the seedbox users who want it.
Our tracker will be aware of the first download and it will appear on the site stats and on the first user's stats. Seeding from the seedbox will appear on the first user's stats.
Our tracker will not know anything about other users who get their data directly from the seedbox, so those downloads and seeding do not appear on any TeamOS stats.

For a more detailed description of data deduplication, read this by @Cyler

Last edited:

PsyTom

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
1.4 TB
Uploaded
502.1 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 3 years
thank you for all of your thoughts and insights. greetings!

Ayush GArg

Downloaded
84.4 GB
Uploaded
181.9 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
And i used to think super seeding mode increase uploading speed. ??
Thanks for explanation.

The_Unforgiven

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
359.2 GB
Uploaded
10 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
I learnt a couple of extra things out of all that grouse read :nerd: And what a good read it was :clap:
Thanks Charlie :rock:

Downloaded
35.7 GB
Uploaded
20.8 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
thanks sir for help trying my best ratio improve

ahrefsblogger

Downloaded
297.2 GB
Uploaded
6 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 4 years
Hi,

I've downloaded a torrent but I am not getting any upload speed. Please help.
The trackers are WORKING and some peers are getting connected too, but my system is not uploading anything. Attaching the screenshots too.

Regards

The_Unforgiven

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
359.2 GB
Uploaded
10 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
Hi,

The trackers are WORKING and some peers are getting connected too, but my system is not uploading anything. Attaching the screenshots too.

Regards

Too many seeders. Don't worry, you still get seed bonus; at least I think you do :think: Help me out Grimey :call:

Technical

Downloaded
21.5 GB
Uploaded
6 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
thankyou for guiding us its great ......:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::mm::mm::mm::mm::mm:

illusions

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
212 GB
Uploaded
7.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
Thank you @Charlie_Grimes. Another great tutorial :)

Chuck

🤴 Super Admin
Downloaded
300.6 GB
Uploaded
2.9 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
24 (26)
Member for 5 years
Hi,

Regards

I'm a bit (a lot) late replying but it is worth doing to make a point.

Did you read the tutorial?
Near the beginning, it says

EXPECTATIONS
Before we start you should realise that, when seeding, you should not expect to see your torrents uploading all the time.
Some of your seeding torrents may not upload at all. That is normal. Just keep seeding everything and you will be OK.

radhe

Downloaded
33.7 GB
Uploaded
801.9 MB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 6 years
that was in details and great information in exact right to the point.....Thanks again for this one too....!

xqtcow

Downloaded
21.6 GB
Uploaded
43.1 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 2 years
very helpful guide, thank you!!

RedDove

⭐ VIP
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
118.2 GB
Uploaded
41.6 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 9 years
:hi: Thank you Charlie_Grimes, for such a
detailed explanation on torrenting.
I use the wonder what was the UPnP port mapping" option
and the NAT-PMP port mapping" option used for now I have
a better understanding.

kulapoXD

Downloaded
28 GB
Uploaded
26.1 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 7 years
Hi, I'm trying to seed freeleech torrent so I can increase my ratio. But my qbit torrent tracker says it's not working. How can I fix this?
screentshot:
Sorry for double posting, but it seems my fisrt screenshot wasnt working so here's another 1.

Chuck

🤴 Super Admin
Downloaded
300.6 GB
Uploaded
2.9 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
24 (26)
Member for 5 years
Hi, I'm trying to seed freeleech torrent so I can increase my ratio. But my qbit torrent tracker says it's not working. How can I fix this?
screentshot:

Then download the torrent again.

kulapoXD

Downloaded
28 GB
Uploaded
26.1 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 7 years

Then download the torrent again.
Both working now and I didn't do anything. Thanks for the reply!

ffrt0

Downloaded
14.8 GB
Uploaded
16.8 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
Thanks team, I like to seed to give it back to community and keep resource up for others help.

What I see in my UTorrent Status

URL of Forum shows Status - Working

But, Status of three below gives message - not allowed
[DHT]
[Local Peer Discovery]
[Peer Exchange]

Can someone guide anything doable at my end or just leave it, and try to seed for maximum time, whatever, I can.

Jimmy Collaros

Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
1.8 TB
Uploaded
1,332.9 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
870 (869)
Member for 8 years
Thanks team, I like to seed to give it back to community and keep resource up for others help.

What I see in my UTorrent Status

URL of Forum shows Status - Working

But, Status of three below gives message - not allowed
[DHT]
[Local Peer Discovery]
[Peer Exchange]

Can someone guide anything doable at my end or just leave it, and try to seed for maximum time, whatever, I can.
Look at this and it may help you.

mhmithu

Downloaded
32.3 GB
Uploaded
34.2 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
how much seed bonus do i get per torrent

Jimmy Collaros

Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
1.8 TB
Uploaded
1,332.9 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
870 (869)
Member for 8 years
how much seed bonus do i get per torrent
Keep seeding nothing more only keep seeding and you will get much bonus.