Team OS : Your Only Destination To Custom OS !!

Welcome to TeamOS Community, Register or Login to the Community to Download Torrents, Get Access to Shoutbox, Post Replies, Use Search Engine and many more features. Register Today!

Locked How to move existing Windows setup to different partition and install new Windows build with dual boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

saukat24

Downloaded
6.6 GB
Uploaded
5.1 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 2 years
Dear members

Kindly help / suggest on appropriate way to do this:

Problem statement:
1. Move current / existing windows 7 setup to different partition
2. Install windows 11 in primary partition with dual boot option

Details:

My current storage setup:

1. SSD Disk 1 (main) - Two partitions (c and d drives). C drive: 121 GB, D drive: 101 GB
2. SSD Disk 2 (dvd bay with caddy) - One partition (e drive: 222 GB) (For backups / misc data)
3. 16 gb USB flash / pen drive (will use to flash the win 11 build image on this using Rufus)
4. 1 TB external HDD (for Backups / misc data)

Current Windows setup:

1. Windows 7 installed on SSD Disk 1 (main) on c drive

Desired setup:

1. Re-partition SSD Disk 1:
C Drive: 90 GB
D Drive: 80 GB
E Drive: 52 GB
2. Windows 11 (Will install this build) on SSD Disk 1 (main) on c drive
3. Move/clone existing Win 7 setup (with all c drive data) from c drive to d drive on SSD Disk 1 (Important to have the option to boot using this until new Win 11 setup on c drive is stable and finalized)
4. Dual boot option to select which one to load
5. If I need to try / experiment other Win 11 builds on c drive until one is finalized, always need to have the parallel option to boot Win 7 from d drive

Please suggest how to do this properly and which tool to use.
@Cyler Hope you can help as suggested by @mobi0001 here

Last edited:

Uncle Mac

🤴 Super Admin
Downloaded
91.3 GB
Uploaded
305.8 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
333 (352)
Member for 10 years
The main thing to remember about dual / multiboot setups is the older OS is installed first, then the newer OS.
In your setup, you are moving Windows 7 to another drive (D, then going to install Windows 11 on drive C.
This would be a lot easier if you left Windows 7 on drive C:, and installed Windows 11 on drive D:. You are simply making more work for yourself, but that's your choice. :p

I'm not certain your desired setup will work correctly. I've successfully setup many multiboot systems before, never done it the way you are wanting to do it. :mask:

Jerry_Xristos

🤴 Super Admin
Downloaded
195.6 GB
Uploaded
67.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
364 (415)
Member for 9 years
First you have to use a Back up software to clone your windows 7 into D drive in your case, then download a windows 11 build which doesn't need clean installation (to be sure) and install it in your C drive during the installation procedure, using a bootable usb.
You can use Rufus to make your bootable usb.
Then every time you boot your computer you have to choose between which operating system you want to boot, windows 7 or windows 11.

You have to check of course if your PC meet the requirments to install windows 11 [you can use again Rufus to make a bootable usb and bypass your system].
As for the build you are reffering https://teamos.xyz/threads/phoenix-liteos-11-pro-22621-105-?-huge-improvements-?-optional-defender.180497/
I don't think you can install it because it needs a clean installation to be done and from the moment your SSD disk drive is partioned you might have issues during the installation, but you can give it a try if you want.
Just have another windows 11 in another usb ready, so you can proceed with the installation of windows 11 in case you can make it with the build above.

PS: Agreed with @Dark Wolf

saukat24

Downloaded
6.6 GB
Uploaded
5.1 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 2 years
The main thing to remember about dual / multiboot setups is the older OS is installed first, then the newer OS.
In your setup, you are moving Windows 7 to another drive (D, then going to install Windows 11 on drive C.
This would be a lot easier if you left Windows 7 on drive C:, and installed Windows 11 on drive D:. You are simply making more work for yourself, but that's your choice. :p

I'm not certain your desired setup will work correctly. I've successfully setup many multiboot systems before, never done it the way you are wanting to do it. :mask:
I reason is I want to have win 11 as the main OS going ahead and once I am satisfied with the setup, I will get rid of Win 7 and format d drive. Of course in the long run would like to keep the main OS partition as C drive.

Jerry_Xristos

🤴 Super Admin
Downloaded
195.6 GB
Uploaded
67.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
364 (415)
Member for 9 years
I reason is I want to have win 11 as the main OS going ahead and once I am satisfied with the setup, I will get rid of Win 7 and format d drive. Of course in the long run would like to keep the main OS partition as C drive.
Why you don't spin in a VM and play with it as much as you like without wondering in case you mess up things.
Much easier and faster
My two cents as @vdogeek says ;)

Uncle Mac

🤴 Super Admin
Downloaded
91.3 GB
Uploaded
305.8 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
333 (352)
Member for 10 years
@Jerry_Xristos answer is actually the best answer for you, @saukat24. I would do that instead of possibly making your system unbootable.

saukat24

Downloaded
6.6 GB
Uploaded
5.1 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 2 years
@Jerry_Xristos @Dark Wolf I will try experimenting with VM

I was reading the process of making dual boot installation here: Link removed

Step 3 onwards, when the installation is started using USB flash drive, isn't it just like a clean install on a separate drive.

Just trying to understand from your post above:

then download a windows 11 build which doesn't need clean installation (to be sure) and install it in your C drive during the installation procedure, using a bootable usb.

As for the build you are reffering https://teamos.xyz/threads/phoenix-liteos-11-pro-22621-105-?-huge-improvements-?-optional-defender.180497/
I don't think you can install it because it needs a clean installation to be done

How is it different. Why would this build not work with dual boot (trying to understand)

Apart from VM, I have another idea / plan.

I will clone my current win 7 c drive to SSD 2 (just as backup) and in case things go wrong, Will boot from SSD 2

I think there are some tools which can detect windows installations on different drives and help make multiboot option. In case you know of anything like that, kindly suggest.

Also, any good FOSS clone tool you can suggest please?

Got one backup / clone tool: https://teamos.xyz/threads/hasleo-disk-clone-v2-9-0-winpe-teamos.180922/#post-903342

Last edited by a moderator:

Jerry_Xristos

🤴 Super Admin
Downloaded
195.6 GB
Uploaded
67.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
364 (415)
Member for 9 years
@saukat24
I have removed your outside links as outside links are not aloud.
Most of the times in my builds and as far as I know at @FBConan builds we remove the manual setup, its a part of windows needed to install windows, from the moment this part is removed the only way is a clean installation of windows.
At FBConan build (the one above) you want to install in your PC only from the size it shows that this part is missing, thats why I said you probably might have issues.
I didn't say it wouldn't work in dual boot, what I said was that probably you won't be able to install it, from the moment your HDD is partitioned (most of the time you are having issues with partitioned HDD when manual setup is missing).

Personally I am using EaseUS Todo backup at the moment.
You will find plenty programs in recovery section

Richard_dn

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
696.4 GB
Uploaded
14 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 10 years
The easiest way I have found is if I have windows on disk 1

I pull the SATA cable to be sure nothing is written to that drive,
then I install a new Windows version on disk 2

then I plug disk 1 back in, now I boot with macruim reflect on USB and use the tools to search for Operating systems it will make a Menu for both Windows Now

you can then select on bootup

you can edit the menu and drive order later with Easybcd

as I have more hdds I have installed 3 operating systems as shown in the photo

saukat24

Downloaded
6.6 GB
Uploaded
5.1 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 2 years

then I plug disk 1 back in, now I boot with macruim reflect on USB and use the tools to search for Operating systems it will make a Menu for both Windows Now

How do I make macrium reflect bootable USB?

Update: Ignore. Figured it out

Last edited:
Downloaded
53.2 GB
Uploaded
16.3 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 9 years
thanks for this info man

Uncle Mac

🤴 Super Admin
Downloaded
91.3 GB
Uploaded
305.8 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
333 (352)
Member for 10 years
How do I make macrium reflect bootable USB?

Update: Ignore. Figured it out

Let us know when you have this sorted out so this can be closed.

saukat24

Downloaded
6.6 GB
Uploaded
5.1 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 2 years

This precisely helped in the exact setup I was willing to have. After installing Win 11 on C drive, I was able to fix the dual boot using Macrium Reflect USB recovery.
However, some driver incompatibilities (specially Intel HD Graphics with Win 11) and some Win 11 bugs are not making me feel satisfied with this setup.
going to try a good Win 10 build rather which is the last officially support OS (in terms of drivers) from Dell for my laptop.

Again, inclined towards using this Phoenix LiteOS build: https://www.teamos.xyz/threads/phoe...-✯-gaming-✯-full-featured-✯-200mb-ram.174377/

Only Defender is missing which I need. Posted on that thread asking for suggestion.

Thanks a lot everyone for your replies here. Really helpful.

Jerry_Xristos

🤴 Super Admin
Downloaded
195.6 GB
Uploaded
67.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
364 (415)
Member for 9 years
@saukat24
Can we close the thread now?

saukat24

Downloaded
6.6 GB
Uploaded
5.1 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 2 years
@saukat24
Can we close the thread now?
Yes you can. Thank you for helping :)

Just need a suggestion: Any good Lite Win 10 build released in last 3-4 months with Defender?
Or any way to install defender after installing this build?
Which other antivirus you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.