Team OS : Your Only Destination To Custom OS !!

Welcome to TeamOS Community, Register or Login to the Community to Download Torrents, Get Access to Shoutbox, Post Replies, Use Search Engine and many more features. Register Today!

Tech News Malware bypassing Secure Boot

Researchers on Wednesday (last week) announced a major cybersecurity find—the world’s first-known instance of real-world malware that can hijack a computer’s boot process even when Secure Boot and other advanced protections are enabled and running on fully updated versions of Windows.

Researchers at security firm ESET presented a deep-dive analysis of the world’s first in-the-wild UEFI bootkit that bypasses Secure Boot on fully updated UEFI systems running fully updated versions of Windows 10 and 11.

The ultimate takeaway is that "UEFI bootkit BlackLotus" is able to install itself on up-to-date systems using the latest Windows version with secure boot enabled. Even though the vulnerability is old, it is still possible to leverage it to bypass all security measures and compromise the booting process of a system, giving the attacker control over the early phase of the system startup. It also illustrates a trend where attackers are focusing on the EFI System Partition (ESP) as opposed to firmware for their implants—sacrificing stealthiness for easier deployment—but allowing a similar level of capabilities.

Qh0l8t.png

Enlarge / A self-signed certificate for the BlackLotus malware. Note the Issuer NM "When they cry CA," a reference to the Higurashi When They Cry anime series.

The handful of previously discovered bootkits in the wild—including CosmicStrand, MosaicRegressor, FinSpy, and MoonBounce (all four discovered by security firm Kaspersky) and ESPecter (like BlackLotus discovered by ESET)—provide the same benefits, but they were easily defeated by enabling Secure Boot. BlackLotus represents a major milestone in the continuing evolution of UEFI bootkits and signals the world’s continuing susceptibility to them.

BlackLotus can be removed by reinstalling Windows.

-The flaw was reported at arstechnica-​

fantom

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
1.3 TB
Uploaded
1,588.6 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 10 years
@DjNaToTheS

Any news does ESET or Kaspersky make/have the cure for it, in its latest updates?

DjNaToTheS

in association with freedom
Power User
Downloaded
33 GB
Uploaded
3.9 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
265 (265)
Member for 7 years
@DjNaToTheS

Any news does ESET or Kaspersky make/have the cure for it, in its latest updates?
Only way to remove it is to reinstall windows. No other cure at the moment.

fantom

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
1.3 TB
Uploaded
1,588.6 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 10 years

DjNaToTheS

WAIT! So even if I have installed ESET or Kaspersky /with latest update of virus def,/, I can be infected ? Strange
:banghead:

DjNaToTheS

in association with freedom
Power User
Downloaded
33 GB
Uploaded
3.9 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
265 (265)
Member for 7 years

DjNaToTheS

WAIT! So even if I have installed ESET or Kaspersky /with latest update of virus def,/, I can be infected ? Strange
:banghead:
i tell you. the bad guys arent sleeping man ...

fantom

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
1.3 TB
Uploaded
1,588.6 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 10 years

DjNaToTheS

:banghead::banghead::banghead::mad::devil::ds:....Thank god we have tools like backupper, macronite....&other, to be safe, or at least don't spend to much time to seed again ;)

Feiyan

Downloaded
82.2 GB
Uploaded
103.7 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 3 years
I just had some sort of epiphany..

Don't these security researchers sound awfully a lot like the scientists and experts we have in other arenas.. :speechless: