Team OS : Your Only Destination To Custom OS !!

Welcome to TeamOS Community, Register or Login to the Community to Download Torrents, Get Access to Shoutbox, Post Replies, Use Search Engine and many more features. Register Today!

Tutorials What is TPM, and how to check if your computer has one for Windows 11?

Wichestery2k

👑 Administrator
Super Moderator
Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
1.4 TB
Uploaded
49.6 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
248 (256)
Member for 7 years
Amidst all the Windows 11 shenanigans, Microsoft also shared the . One of the surprising mentions on the specifications sheet was the requirement of a Trusted Platform Module (TPM). Earlier, TPMs were discrete chips soldered to a computer’s motherboard and were mostly available for business users. However, newer TPM implementations from AMD, Qualcomm, and Intel integrate TPM functionality directly into the CPUs.

However, most people aren’t even aware of what TPM is and if there is one in their PC. Nobody, apart from power users or IT administrators, checks for TPM listing in a specifications sheet. Computer brands don't highlight it like processor, storage, RAM, etc. in their marketing collateral. So, what really is a TPM?

What is a Trusted Platform Module (TPM)?

TPM technology is designed to provide hardware-based, security-related functions. A TPM chip is a secure crypto-processor that helps in generating, storing, and limiting the use of cryptographic keys.

Windows 10 offers a myriad of security features like Device Guard, Windows Hello for Business, BitLocker Drive Encryption, et al. and to achieve many of these security enhancements, Windows 10 makes extensive use of the TPM. Windows 11 is expected to take it further with a cumulative security impact of new built-in security features as well as a TPM.

Check the TPM Management console

Open the Run command (Windows + R), type tpm.msc, and click OK or hit Enter. Once the Trusted Platform Module Management console opens, check out the status.

“The TPM is ready for use.” Yay!

“Compatible TPM cannot be found on this computer.” Uh-oh.

There will also be the manufacturer information of the TPM chip. The screenshot is from a Surface Pro X, and hence Qualcomm is specified as the manufacturer.

If your TPM is confirmed, you are good to go. Check the , and assuming other requirements are met, you’d get a green signal for a free upgrade to Windows 11 when it rolls out. However, even if you get the latter, it’s not all over. Read on.

Using BIOS or UEFI

There is a chance that you’d need to enable the TPM from BIOS or UEFI. These are not straightforward steps since the BIOS interface is different for different OEMs. To do this, you can contact your manufacturer’s support channels, else follow these steps with approximation.

Restart your computer, and enter the BIOS or UEFI utility. Head to the Security section, and you’d find an option to enable the TPM if there’s one. Save, and exit the BIO utility.

You can also buy a TPM chip. It’s quite a hassle since you’ll have to figure out which one your hardware supports and the installation too requires some expertise. So, go this route only if you know your stuff and want to redeem your older system. And, of course, in true nod to our times, to create a shortage in the market.

Microsoft has shared that it will update the PC Health Check app and also offer guidance around enabling TPM via BIOS to allay such concerns. You can also try these alternate methods to check the TPM status to be sure.

Using the Device Manager

Open the Run command (Windows + R), type devmgmt.msc, and click OK or hit Enter. Once the Device Manager console opens, head to Security devices, and expand it.

If you’ve got a TPM, it will be listed here.

Using Command Prompt

Press the Windows button on your keyboard or click Start, and type cmd. You’d get the Command Prompt, so click on Run as administrator to open the Command Prompt in elevated mode. Copy the following command, paste it at the prompt, and hit Enter.

wmic /namespace:\\root\cimv2\security\microsofttpm path win32_tpm get * /format:textvaluelist.xsl

The Command Prompt will return three values for TPM – IsActivated, ISEnabled, and IsOwned. If all the three are TRUE, you are good to go. If either of them returns No instance available, you’d have to address the specific issue.

Uncle Mac

🤴 Super Admin
Downloaded
91.3 GB
Uploaded
305.7 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
333 (352)
Member for 10 years
Yah for this. ILL pin it now and thanks tons

Neville's Haze

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
122.9 GB
Uploaded
280.3 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 6 years
Thank you for this! I learned a great deal

Mr. Edward

Die with memories, not dreams
Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
259.4 GB
Uploaded
40.1 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
134 (137)
Member for 6 years
Nicely explained dude , thanks for sharing

MniawY

• STAFF™ 🌟
Super Moderator
Uploader
Power User
Downloaded
156.5 GB
Uploaded
51 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
104 (102)
Member for 7 years
Fantastic Explanation , Thanks @Wichestery2k :inlove:

KooMulee

Power User
Downloaded
45.8 GB
Uploaded
112.7 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 7 years
Thanks for simple yet detailed explanation.

deepaman

Downloaded
28.3 GB
Uploaded
12 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
Thanks for Sharing TPM, very well done what you explained to us.

dragon9

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
54 GB
Uploaded
2.6 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 10 years
Thank you very much great work

hitman2

Downloaded
46.6 GB
Uploaded
433.3 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 3 years
Hi
Thanks for the excellent explanation. With that I was able to know if my computer had TPM or not, and to my delight I checked TPM2 :giggle::giggle::giggle:

RedDove

⭐ VIP
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
118.2 GB
Uploaded
41.6 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 9 years
:hi: That was very informative, thank you Wichestery2k.
I checked using the run cmd. and it says it is ready for use, yay.
Would it be wise to clear the TMP. In what case should I do that?
Thanks in advance. :)

WideGlide

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
39.9 GB
Uploaded
3.9 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 6 years
Very nice explanation, thanks for this!

psychopat78

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
79.6 GB
Uploaded
2.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 4 years
:oops:totally busted now i cant upload this... just kidding:giggle: i'm more into downloading... to store it:happy: and have it for later use....lmao:rofl: but having a good explanation doesnt kill someone to have under the hand too... Do you know any way to decipher the code written with that?

Last edited:

mtesta

Downloaded
65.6 GB
Uploaded
636.1 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 4 years
can we setup win11 in a hardware with out
Trusted Platform Module (TPM)?

osxp1

Downloaded
68.2 GB
Uploaded
3.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 7 years
Thanx for the info Bro.
My laptop's TPM' vesion is 1.2 and it doesn't update thru windows update or Device Manager to version 2, Is there a solution for this issue?

Zyan94

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
31 GB
Uploaded
31.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 6 years
Thanx for the info Bro.
My laptop's TPM' vesion is 1.2 and it doesn't update thru windows update or Device Manager to version 2, Is there a solution for this issue?
You'll probably need to check your devices support page to see if TPM 2.0 is available (usually in the drivers section), then you can proceed to flash the newer version.

MediumSteak

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
12.2 GB
Uploaded
13.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 3 years
really nice information! many thanks man :rock:

illusions

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
209.8 GB
Uploaded
7.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
Thank you for the TPM infos :clap:

jzoliveras.it

Downloaded
86.1 GB
Uploaded
109.3 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 4 years
Flawless!! perfection! very nce explanation. Learned a lot Thanks!

GRiM R3AP3R

Donor
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
243.4 GB
Uploaded
3.8 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
THANX 4 Taking The Time 2 Share & Post This Info 4 Us All.

Nischal

Downloaded
8.3 GB
Uploaded
8.4 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 3 years
wow good one. Thanks for your hard work. great info Its essential for me,