Team OS : Your Only Destination To Custom OS !!

Welcome to TeamOS Community, Register or Login to the Community to Download Torrents, Get Access to Shoutbox, Post Replies, Use Search Engine and many more features. Register Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

torrents4lyf

Downloaded
55 GB
Uploaded
60.7 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 3 years
Hello
I been using a 256 GB SSD as primary and 750 GB secondary SATA HDD for storage on my laptop.
I was surfing internet yesterday and suddenly following started to happen:
1. Videos stored on my HDD, when played, started to lag, skip frames and hang the video player and the folder explorer as well
2. Cant select or surf any partition from the HDD but can easily surf internet and other apps from primary SSD
3. Did multiple reboots, and suddenly faced the error: Unknown Hard Error
3. I have dual boot with Kubuntu, so I booted into Kubuntu, and then started copying files from HDD to another external HDD one partition at a time. Even kubuntu was getting lagged and hanged a couple times,
but soon, everything got copied at a decent speed.
4. Now when I started to format, I deleted all partitions from the HDD and tried to format it, but it got stuck and lagged again. So I rebooted the machine using power button only, but the system would not reach to the point where I am supposed to start the windows installation process.
5. I removed this HDD and then started the procedure and it worked finally.
6. I did CHKDISK on my SSD [all good result] and then SFC /SCANNOW. SCANNOW says some issues are found, related info is stored at SFC log but I cant find these logs. [I am using FBConan WIn11 Elegant]

So I want to know what exactly happened to my HDD and is there any possible way to make it work right again, like it used to. The HDD is almost 10 years old now. Since my laptop is also old, I am thinking to get a 2nd SSD. Should I go for 256 or 500GB considering the fact that the laptop is very old as well and already has one SSD attached to it.

Thanks

steve ross

Downloaded
468.4 GB
Uploaded
687.6 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 7 years
Hard drive is toast, buy a new one. I find that hard drives tend to fail quite rapidly, my 1tb WD green started to go just after replacing it with a 1tb ssd. It was 100% last week.

torrents4lyf

Downloaded
55 GB
Uploaded
60.7 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 3 years
Hard drive is toast, buy a new one. I find that hard drives tend to fail quite rapidly, my 1tb WD green started to go just after replacing it with a 1tb ssd. It was 100% last week.
So, what would you suggest ? for a gen 4 i5 laptop, should I add another 256gg ssd or get 500 gb ssd instead?

Andy 52

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
908.4 GB
Uploaded
28 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 2 years
So, what would you suggest ? for a gen 4 i5 laptop, should I add another 256gg ssd or get 500 gb ssd instead?
Get a larger SSD disk. About 1 terabyte. In the event of a replacement with a new laptop, this will be useful for you in the future. In addition, disks (SSD) with a larger volume are also more reliable in their operation. I leave it up to you to decide which model to choose. Samsung, Critial and some others are preferable. The prices are affordable, and you'll be glad you have more free space. And it is not a problem that you will have two SSD drives in your laptop.

torrents4lyf

Downloaded
55 GB
Uploaded
60.7 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 3 years
Thanks for the suggestion. I will look for a new laptop first then, and based on the stock SSD with it, I will then decide a new SSD so that I can keep this and the new machine, all SSD and working perfectly.

Thanks for the help :)

torrents4lyf

Downloaded
55 GB
Uploaded
60.7 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 3 years
I guess this request can now be closed :D

SiteWizard

Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
233.8 GB
Uploaded
31.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
12 (12)
Member for 9 years
@torrents4lyf i use now for a long time a few extern hdd's from 8TB they are (2 from WD ) and a few that are called Porsche (lol) and 2 that come from Lacie :) the big ones and never have problems with these hdd's i also have 4 ssd's in side my new rig here that are also a few TB :)

But now to your problem and to wat you can do :)
you write that you have copy everything to a extern drive / hdd ...
ok so reformat that drive / hdd that is giving problems .
when you format it use the same GB that the drive / hdd have / was ...
I been using a 256 GB SSD as primary and 750 GB secondary SATA HDD for storage on my laptop
done ...

Last edited:

Charles

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
5 TB
Uploaded
268.7 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 10 years
My moto on computer parts is...
When in doubt, throw it out.
The same thing we used to do in chemistry.
The drive shows all the classic signs of dying. Consider yourself lucky that you were able to retrieve your data, before it bit the dust.
I'd suggest buying a new SSD drive, to replace the dying mechanical. The lifespan will probably be around 3 years. The price on a 1 TB ssd drive is around 50 bucks on Amazon in the states.
I'd say that 50 bucks is a good investment, instead of attempting to wipe and reinstall on a old / malfunctioning drive that seems as stable as Charles Manson on Medicines.
Just my advice though.

torrents4lyf

Downloaded
55 GB
Uploaded
60.7 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 3 years
@torrents4lyf i use now for a long time a few extern hdd's from 8TB they are (2 from WD ) and a few that are called Porsche (lol) and 2 that come from Lacie :) the big ones and never have problems with these hdd's i also have 4 ssd's in side my new rig here that are also a few TB :)

But now to your problem and to wat you can do :)
you write that you have copy everything to a extern drive / hdd ...
ok so reformat that drive / hdd that is giving problems .
when you format it use the same GB that the drive / hdd have / was ...
I been using a 256 GB SSD as primary and 750 GB secondary SATA HDD for storage on my laptop
done ...
Sorry for being so late to respond. (real life things hehe). So I tried to format the HDD, but when it is connected, system just freezes completely

Uncle Mac

🤴 Super Admin
Downloaded
91.3 GB
Uploaded
307.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
337 (356)
Member for 10 years
I guess this request can now be closed :D