Team OS : Your Only Destination To Custom OS !!

Welcome to TeamOS Community, Register or Login to the Community to Download Torrents, Get Access to Shoutbox, Post Replies, Use Search Engine and many more features. Register Today!

Tutorials How to Resize an Image in Photoshop Without Losing Quality

RedDove

⭐ VIP
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
118.2 GB
Uploaded
42.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 9 years
By
It was suggested that I wrap these tutorials into a PDF to make it easier for others and it keeps the site neat.
It's a very good idea and I thought about doing that but if I did, I would be taking credit for something that
I didn't do and that's something that doesn't sit well with me.
All I do is search for tutorials of subjects I find interest in.
I share because there might be a few of you awesome members who might need a little help in the same area,
just like I did. Well. I usually need more than just a little help.

Well, here goes.

how-to-resize-an-image-in-photoshop-without-losing-quality-1.png.webp

My image needs to be bigger!
Have you ever run into this issue? Perhaps you want to print an image and the original file resolution is too small. But, when you tried to resize the image it resulted in a horrific quality loss.
However, Photoshop comes to the rescue once again by offering ways to make an image larger without losing quality.
But you have to do it right or you’ll end up with a soft or even pixelated image.
Let me show you two easy methods!

Note: the screenshots below are taken from the Windows version of Adobe Photoshop, if you’re using the Mac version, the navigations may look slightly different.

The Problem with the Transform Tool​

You may already be familiar with the Transform tool. You simply hit Ctrl + T (Command + T) on the keyboard to activate it. Then you can grab the handles and resize the image however you please.
But there’s a big problem with this method. If you resize an image smaller, data is lost to compress the image. If you try to stretch it out again, your image will show a quality loss.
Check this out. I took my kids to an animal sanctuary last week and got this picture of a parrot. When viewed at 100%, you can see its sharpness on his eye and the feathers on his head.

how-to-resize-an-image-in-photoshop-without-losing-quality-12.png.webp

Look what happens if I make it smaller, then bigger again. The image has gone soft. Not good.

how-to-resize-an-image-in-photoshop-without-losing-quality-3.png.webp

How to Resize with the Transform Tool without Quality Loss​

However, there is a way to use the Transform tool without this drastic quality loss. Simply turn your image layer into a .
This acts as a container of sorts for the image. You can resize the container all you want and it won’t affect the quality of the image.
Check this out.​

Step 1: Turn the Image Layer into a Smart Object​

To make this work, copy the background layer by hitting Ctrl + J (Command + J). Then, right-click in the blank space on the layer you want to convert.

how-to-resize-an-image-in-photoshop-without-losing-quality-7.png.webp

Select Convert to Smart Object from the menu that appears.

how-to-resize-an-image-in-photoshop-without-losing-quality-4.png.webp

You’ll see this little box appear in the corner of the layer thumbnail.

how-to-resize-an-image-in-photoshop-without-losing-quality-11.png.webp

Step 2: Open the Transform Tool​

Select your image layer with Ctrl + A (Command + A), then open the Transform tool with Ctrl + T (Command + T).
Now you can grab the handles and resize them with no noticeable quality loss. Here I did the exact same experiment with resizing my bird image smaller and then larger again.
Yet, this time, my image appears untouched.

how-to-resize-an-image-in-photoshop-without-losing-quality-5.png.webp

You can even make an image larger with this method. Here I’ve enlarged the image and zoomed in 100%. As you can see, the image still looks sharp.

how-to-resize-an-image-in-photoshop-without-losing-quality-10.png.webp

This method works great but still has its limitations. Here I made the image significantly larger and zoomed into 100%.
You can see that it’s starting to get soft, though it’s still impressive for how much larger I made the image.

how-to-resize-an-image-in-photoshop-without-losing-quality-8.png.webp

Let’s look at another way of enlarging images while still retaining the image quality.​

Resize with the Image Size Command​

Images are made up of millions of tiny colored dots called pixels. There are so many that we can’t see the individual pixels unless we zoom in to about 1600% or more.
When you make an image larger, you spread out those pixels, which is what makes the image look soft or pixelated. Photoshop has a fancy tool called resampling that addresses this issue.
The program adds pixels to the image to maintain the resolution even though the image is getting larger. It analyzes the surrounding pixels and uses that information to choose the right color pixel to add.
Let me show you how to use it.​

Step 1: Select the Image Size Command​

Go to Image in the menu bar and select Image Size. You can also hit Alt + Ctrl + I (Option + Command + I) on the keyboard.

how-to-resize-an-image-in-photoshop-without-losing-quality-2.png.webp

Step 1: Select the Image Size Command​

Go to Image in the menu bar and select Image Size. You can also hit Alt + Ctrl + I (Option + Command + I) on the keyboard.

how-to-resize-an-image-in-photoshop-without-losing-quality-2.png.webp

In the box that pops up, be sure to check the box that says Resample. This ensures that Photoshop will create more pixels to add to the image.
There are a few different options for how Photoshop will perform this feat. Most of the time Automatic or Preserve Details work great.
However, some of the others may work better with certain images so feel free to play around.

how-to-resize-an-image-in-photoshop-without-losing-quality-9.png.webp

If you want the aspect ratio (height and width in relation to one another) to stay the same, make sure that the chain-link button is checked. Uncheck to freely resize horizontally or vertically.
You can also choose different measurements to use from the dropdown box that says pixels in my example. We’ll just stick with pixels for now.​

Step 2: Resize the Image​

Now, notice the quality of the bird in the preview panel above. Let’s bump it up to 6000 pixels wide, keeping the same aspect ratio, and see what we get.

how-to-resize-an-image-in-photoshop-without-losing-quality-6.png.webp

My image is still zoomed in to 100% and you can see the quality is beginning to degrade. But…we just tripled the size of the image. The results might not be perfect, but they are quite impressive.
You can also change the size by playing with the . For example, here I changed the resolution to 150. Instead of 300 pixels per inch, the program will convert the image to 150 PPI.
There you have it! Now you know how to resize images without losing quality.

Downloaded
168.8 MB
Uploaded
5 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 1 months
Usually I just use online AI to transform image to larger size without using Adobe Photoshop, because I am not very professional in using the tools. Thanks for this tutorial and below is my sample done ith your guide :clap:

Screenshot-218.jpg

erobbins

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
200.3 GB
Uploaded
4.9 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 3 years
Excellent tutorial Red Dove. Easy to understand, and there were a couple Photoshop tips I didn't know yet. I have been looking for a way to get good results when resizing smaller. Now I can finally do just that.
Elizabeth

Cyler

🤴 Super Admin
⚡OS Master
Downloaded
510.5 GB
Uploaded
24.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1 (1)
Member for 6 years
If I may add, there is an alternative way through neural filters with impressive results. All one has to do is go to filets, and select neural filters and super zoom. The options are easy and very clear, select the zoom level indicators under the image and then "play" with the sharpness level and noise reduction.

QwErzz.jpeg

Below you can see an upscale from 2000 pixels 10 MB image to 10000 pixels and 168 MB image.
QwEyM3.jpeg

And a small tip... no one said you only have to use one method :p
Sometimes mix and match can give awesome results. All one has to do is experiment :)

Thank you for the awesome guide Red.

RedDove

⭐ VIP
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
118.2 GB
Uploaded
42.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 9 years
Usually I just use online AI to transform image to larger size without using Adobe Photoshop, because I am not very professional in using the tools. Thanks for this tutorial and below is my sample done ith your guide :clap:
Wow, Well done @Xploit Machine , thanks so much for responding.and You're so very welcome. :h:
Excellent tutorial Red Dove. Easy to understand, and there were a couple Photoshop tips I didn't know yet. I have been looking for a way to get good results when resizing smaller. Now I can finally do just that.
Elizabeth
Aww, thanks so much for the kind words Elizabeth, You're so very welcome too, @erobbins :h:
If I may add, there is an alternative way through neural filters with impressive results. All one has to do is go to filets, and select neural filters and super zoom. The options are easy and very clear, select the zoom level indicators under the image and then "play" with the sharpness level and noise reduction.
Thanks so much @Cyler , I've just learnt something else from you, which is invaluable to me.
I'm going to download those images and do a bit more practicing, You're more than welcome.

Hugzzzz to all three of you, my Fam. Your words mean alot.:h:

erobbins

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
200.3 GB
Uploaded
4.9 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 3 years

QwErzz.jpeg

Below you can see an upscale from 2000 pixels 10 MB image to 10000 pixels and 168 MB image.
QwEyM3.jpeg

And a small tip... no one said you only have to use one method :p
Sometimes mix and match can give awesome results. All one has to do is experiment :)

Thank you for the awesome guide Red.
Cyler don't we have to be online (have a subscription to Adobe) to use neural filters? I could never get them going.
Elizabeth

_Jules_

Downloaded
331.4 GB
Uploaded
32.7 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 2 years
Great stuff, well written, I''l try it! :clap:

Cyler

🤴 Super Admin
⚡OS Master
Downloaded
510.5 GB
Uploaded
24.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1 (1)
Member for 6 years
Cyler don't we have to be online (have a subscription to Adobe) to use neural filters? I could never get them going.
Elizabeth
Yes, but a free account will work with neural filters. All you have to do is make an account (using Gmail login) at Adobe's site and then log in with that account on Photoshop again using Google to authenticate you (don't type email, password). After that Neural Filters will be on for you to download and use even if you blocked Photoshop. Try it and if it doesn't work for you, I'll PM you with detailed steps.

Brian Johnston

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
365.5 GB
Uploaded
421.9 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 9 years
Appreciate the guide Red Dove, Well done.
It will help many of the Team on here,
Cheers

erobbins

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
200.3 GB
Uploaded
4.9 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 3 years
Yes, but a free account will work with neural filters. All you have to do is make an account (using Gmail login) at Adobe's site and then log in with that account on Photoshop again using Google to authenticate you (don't type email, password). After that Neural Filters will be on for you to download and use even if you blocked Photoshop. Try it and if it doesn't work for you, I'll PM you with detailed steps.
Thank you so much! Really appreciate this.
Elizabeth