Team OS : Your Only Destination To Custom OS !!

Welcome to TeamOS Community, Register or Login to the Community to Download Torrents, Get Access to Shoutbox, Post Replies, Use Search Engine and many more features. Register Today!

Locked Query about RAM for my motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaggyloving

Downloaded
11.3 GB
Uploaded
71.4 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
Hello All,

I hope you all are doing well.

This time I need another assistance regarding which RAM to buy of 16GB DDR4.

Please find the link of my previous post that has motherboard details - https://www.teamos.xyz/threads/question-about-ssd.182090/#post-909122

Now my query is that, whether it would support U-DIMM that I have shortlisted to buy. I am confused about this.

If this RAM works then I will get 2X16GB.

Thanks in advance.

PsyTom

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
1.4 TB
Uploaded
502.1 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 4 years
yes it does supports U-DIMM. supporting up to 64 GB of system memory
Supporting frequency range for DDR4 3866(O.C.) / 3800(O.C.) / 3733(O.C.) / 3666(O.C.) / 3600(O.C.) / 3466(O.C.) / 3400(O.C.) / 3333(O.C.) / 3300(O.C.) / 3200(O.C.) / 3000(O.C.) / 2800(O.C.) / 2666(O.C.) / 2400 / 2133 MHz memory modules. [ O.C. = Overclocking ]

Last edited:

juanamm

Uploader
Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
5.7 GB
Uploaded
448.6 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
217 (223)
Member for 5 years
@jaggyloving, as I see that you open a thread for each question related to your MOBO, I will share the official link of it so that you can read all the technical specifications and be able to decide faster.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z270M-D3H-rev-10#kf
After that, keep in mind that to take advantage of the dual channel architecture for the memories it is imperative that they all be the same, I prefer to use even the same brand, but if you don't get the same brand at least look for the frequency, voltage and latency to match.
I share info so you know what factors to consider before buying RAM: https://www.pcworld.com/article/541506/how-to-choose-the-right-ram.html

jaggyloving

Downloaded
11.3 GB
Uploaded
71.4 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
Thanks to both of you for your answers.

I have my motherboard specifications but the issue is that am not familiar with the those terms.

So I will get a set of 4 Rams but what will you suggest to buy, I mean 4/8/16 GB for four slots?

Also, I am getting a RTX 3050 6GB OC edition for my motherboard, so I need to find the correct RAMS to work well.

juanamm

Uploader
Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
5.7 GB
Uploaded
448.6 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
217 (223)
Member for 5 years
Thanks to both of you for your answers.

I have my motherboard specifications but the issue is that am not familiar with the those terms.

So I will get a set of 4 Rams but what will you suggest to buy, I mean 4/8/16 GB for four slots?

Regarding the size of the RAM (4/8/16 GB) it will depend on what you currently have and the money you are willing to spend.
Your MOBO has 4 x DDR4 DIMM sockets supporting up to 64 GB of system memory.
You can put 4 x 16 GB and with that you would be at the top supported by your MOBO.
Or you can put 2x16 GB and you would have 2 free slots for future memory expansion.
If you choose the latter I advise you to use the slots of the same color (2 black or 2 gray).

The recommended amount varies greatly depending on the use that is going to be given to the PC. A calculation server where perhaps 72GB is scarce is not the same as a gaming team where with 8GB we are served in the short term. The rule of thumb for RAM is as follows:

* Have a sufficient amount for all active programs to fit in main memory: The most important thing, because if our team is going to be constantly pulling paging, it doesn't matter if we have the fastest RAM in the world, we are going to have a huge neck of bottle bringing and carrying data to disk.
* Have dual/triple/quad channel enabled if our platform supports it: That is, 2 in 2, 3 in 3, or 4 in 4 modules respectively. This is one of the most important things, since having dual channel active means doubling the effective bandwidth when several memory pages are moved at once. Under ideal conditions, having two modules at 1333Mhz gives us as much theoretical bandwidth as a single module at 2666Mhz, of course for a fraction of the price.
* Have the highest possible frequencies in our modules.
* Have the lowest possible latencies in our modules.

Returning to the amount, the most demanding use will be video games, my opinion is that the perfect amount to be safe for several years is 16GB. In somewhat tighter budgets, mounting 8GB is a very adequate compromise to meet the minimum requirements of the vast majority of current and upcoming titles without making major concessions, except if we are more careful to close most applications, especially if we are one of the that we have Chrome open with many tabs. 4GB seems scarce even for some current games, and we should avoid it if possible.

For advanced users, who are going to render, edit images at high resolutions, or who usually have several large virtual machines open, the only limit is your pocket and the maximum memory supported by the platform (in your case 64 GB).

Sorry for the long explanation, but from what you said you are not familiar with the technical terms, so I tried to explain and give you examples as simply as I could.

jaggyloving

Downloaded
11.3 GB
Uploaded
71.4 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
Regarding the size of the RAM (4/8/16 GB) it will depend on what you currently have and the money you are willing to spend.
Your MOBO has 4 x DDR4 DIMM sockets supporting up to 64 GB of system memory.
You can put 4 x 16 GB and with that you would be at the top supported by your MOBO.
Or you can put 2x16 GB and you would have 2 free slots for future memory expansion.
If you choose the latter I advise you to use the slots of the same color (2 black or 2 gray).

The recommended amount varies greatly depending on the use that is going to be given to the PC. A calculation server where perhaps 72GB is scarce is not the same as a gaming team where with 8GB we are served in the short term. The rule of thumb for RAM is as follows:

* Have a sufficient amount for all active programs to fit in main memory: The most important thing, because if our team is going to be constantly pulling paging, it doesn't matter if we have the fastest RAM in the world, we are going to have a huge neck of bottle bringing and carrying data to disk.
* Have dual/triple/quad channel enabled if our platform supports it: That is, 2 in 2, 3 in 3, or 4 in 4 modules respectively. This is one of the most important things, since having dual channel active means doubling the effective bandwidth when several memory pages are moved at once. Under ideal conditions, having two modules at 1333Mhz gives us as much theoretical bandwidth as a single module at 2666Mhz, of course for a fraction of the price.
* Have the highest possible frequencies in our modules.
* Have the lowest possible latencies in our modules.

Returning to the amount, the most demanding use will be video games, my opinion is that the perfect amount to be safe for several years is 16GB. In somewhat tighter budgets, mounting 8GB is a very adequate compromise to meet the minimum requirements of the vast majority of current and upcoming titles without making major concessions, except if we are more careful to close most applications, especially if we are one of the that we have Chrome open with many tabs. 4GB seems scarce even for some current games, and we should avoid it if possible.

For advanced users, who are going to render, edit images at high resolutions, or who usually have several large virtual machines open, the only limit is your pocket and the maximum memory supported by the platform (in your case 64 GB).

Sorry for the long explanation, but from what you said you are not familiar with the technical terms, so I tried to explain and give you examples as simply as I could.
Oh that was awesome, really well explained.

As you know my motherboard is Z270M and it supports till 7th Gen only. Currently I have i5 5500 processor, so I find some games hanging. I am plaaning to get a CPU but not now, say 6-9 months later, that's why I am going for RAM upgrading.

Yes, this would be my one-time and last investment for this system. So I wanted to get the best advice when it comes to getting a new RAM and I hope increasing RAm would decrease some hanging of games.

How would it be like -

Moving from GTX 1050ti 4GB to RTX 3050 OC 8GB and increasing my RAM to 64 GB now?

I hope my MOBO will support RTX 3050 OC 8GB.

Cyler

🤴 Super Admin
⚡OS Master
Downloaded
510.5 GB
Uploaded
26.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1 (1)
Member for 7 years
Unless your workload (high rez, professional video/image editing, big databases, etc) asks for it, you dont need 64 Gb ram. You don't even need 32. Buy 2 x 8 GB sticks and for most anything, you will be more than fine. Games and apps that demand more than 16 Gb of ram also ask for high-end graphic cards and CPUs so don't worry. After all, I think it's more likely that in the future you will buy a new architecture PC and so whatever investment you do with this PC will not be compatible with the new one.

By the way, I might be mistaken but you can not have an i5 5500u as this is a laptop CPU and 5th gen. Your mobo supports 6th and 7th so I guess you mean i5 6500? If so, and as for what to buy, 3050 will bottleneck your CPU (as in will not be fully utilized) so better go to the likes of 1650 normal or Ti, unless you plan to upgrade soon, but if you plan to upgrade, no point wasting money on ram at this point.

jaggyloving

Downloaded
11.3 GB
Uploaded
71.4 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
Unless your workload (high rez, professional video/image editing, big databases, etc) asks for it, you dont need 64 Gb ram. You don't even need 32. Buy 2 x 8 GB sticks and for most anything, you will be more than fine. Games and apps that demand more than 16 Gb of ram also ask for high-end graphic cards and CPUs so don't worry. After all, I think it's more likely that in the future you will buy a new architecture PC and so whatever investment you do with this PC will not be compatible with the new one.

By the way, I might be mistaken but you can not have an i5 5500u as this is a laptop CPU and 5th gen. Your mobo supports 6th and 7th so I guess you mean i5 6500? If so, and as for what to buy, 3050 will bottleneck your CPU (as in will not be fully utilized) so better go to the likes of 1650 normal or Ti, unless you plan to upgrade soon, but if you plan to upgrade, no point wasting money on ram at this point.
Thanks Cyler. Yes am planning to get a new PC in 6-9 months.

juanamm

Uploader
Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
5.7 GB
Uploaded
448.6 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
217 (223)
Member for 5 years
I agree with @Cyler regarding the amount of RAM to buy, they are also DDR4, if you plan to upgrade to a higher PC in a few months maybe those memories are not suitable since DDR5 is currently being used.
I believe that the topic has been sufficiently debated and all the doubts raised by the OP were evacuated.
Thanks to everyone who helped here.
Completed

Status
Not open for further replies.