Team OS : Your Only Destination To Custom OS !!

Welcome to TeamOS Community, Register or Login to the Community to Download Torrents, Get Access to Shoutbox, Post Replies, Use Search Engine and many more features. Register Today!

Processing Trying to get Linux to run on my Acer r11 chromebook

liammbreen

Downloaded
0 bytes
Uploaded
5 GB
Ratio
-
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 1 months
Hi guys new to the group. I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out why Linux won't install on my Chromebook. I have developer mode turned on it gives me the option to install Linux however it keeps failing. I've tried different wifi I've tried changing the crostini flags and everything else I can think of. My Chromebook is obsolete meaning it's run out of updates which I'm guessing could be a big reason why it won't work. It did run fine on it before a couple years back. I appreciate any help and advice you guys can give me. (SOLVED JUST WANT TO SAY THANK TOU FOR EVERYONE WHO HELPED OUT WITH THE PROCESS LINUX MINT IS RUNNING LIKE A DREAM THANKS FOR HELPING ME BOOT INTO THE USB SHARROW)👍

Last edited:

pleiadians

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
188.8 GB
Uploaded
713.5 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 6 years
Is there a hardware write protect lock /screw?

liammbreen

Downloaded
0 bytes
Uploaded
5 GB
Ratio
-
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 1 months
Is there a hardware write protect lock /screw?
I'm not too sure man I'm kinda new to this stuff. All I know is that I used to be able to click on developer options and then click the Linux development environment and it would install and run. It brings up a screen then saying "installing Linux this process may take a few minutesm setting up the Linux container" then it stops installing just after halfway and it says "error installing Linux the Linux container setup did not complete. Please try again"

RedDove

⭐ VIP
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
119.8 GB
Uploaded
44 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 9 years
@liammbreen, I was actually reading about this and the not updating could be an issue, I also read about turning on the linux subsystem option.
This what I read.

Some Chromebooks allow users to turn on a Beta version of Linux. This allows you to install Linux tools, editors and IDEs on your Chromebook. You can verify if your system supports this feature using the steps below.

1. Click on the time in the lower right corner.
  2. Select Settings ⚙.
  3. Click the Settings menu in the top left to expand the menu.
  4. Under "Linux (Beta)," select Turn On. If you do not have this option, your system does not support the Linux Beta.
Note: You must be running the latest version of Chrome OS to use this feature.

I also read about the write protected lock/screw and this is what I read.

Removing the Write-Protect screw​

So this is what the WP screw looks like on a Chell Chromebook. This may or may not be what you will find in other devices. But if you take a close look, you will notice that the copper pad that the the screw attaches against is split into parts that are bridged by a screw being inserted.
That screw needs to be removed.

I hope something here helps a little.
Good luck to you. :)

Proteus

acta non verba
⚡OS Master
Uploader
Power User
Windows Modifier
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
207 GB
Uploaded
35.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
218 (230)
Member for 5 years
  • Processor: 1.6GHz quad-core Intel Celeron N3150 (quad-core, 3MB cache, up to 2.08GHz with Turbo Boost)
  • Graphics: Integrated Intel HD Graphics.
  • Memory: 4GB DDR3L.
  • Storage: 32GB.
  • Screen: 11.6 HD, 1,366 x 768 touchscreen, LED-backlit IPS.
  • Camera: 720p webcam.
  • Wireless: 802.11ac (B/G/N) dual-band WiFi, Bluetooth 4.0.
These are the specs I pulled from the net for YOUR machine using Acer R11 Chromebook in search.

1st off, You will need to use something like puppy linux or linuxlite. Problems below:

1) 1.6 Celeron processor. JUNK in my opinion, but MAY work.
2) Ram is suffieient, but it is shared memory so if video is getting 1gb then 3gb left for system, which with a celeron isnt great.
3) 32gb drive is prolly a built-in non expandable flash chip type drive. NOT a lot of space and relatively slow.
4) I did a similar one a year ago, and had to install an OLD version of linux mint on it, 17.3 to be exact. NOTHING else would work.

Try burning the linux to flash drive, boot off flash drive, then try to install it.

liammbreen

Downloaded
0 bytes
Uploaded
5 GB
Ratio
-
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 1 months
@liammbreen, I was actually reading about this and the not updating could be an issue, I also read about turning on the linux subsystem option.
This what I read.

Some Chromebooks allow users to turn on a Beta version of Linux. This allows you to install Linux tools, editors and IDEs on your Chromebook. You can verify if your system supports this feature using the steps below.

2. Select Settings ⚙.
  4. Under "Linux (Beta)," select Turn On. If you do not have this option, your system does not support the Linux Beta.

So this is what the WP screw looks like on a Chell Chromebook. This may or may not be what you will find in other devices. But if you take a close look, you will notice that the copper pad that the the screw attaches against is split into parts that are bridged by a screw being inserted.

I hoe something here helps a little.
Good luck to you.

This what I read.

2. Select Settings ⚙.

I hope something here helps a little.
Good luck to you. :)

Your right man!!! I have everything sorted was just about to flash the drive and what pops up? "Hardware write-protect enabled, cannot flash full rom firmware." I wonder can I still dual boot or is that still considered full rom firmware 🤔

RedDove

⭐ VIP
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
119.8 GB
Uploaded
44 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 9 years
Your right man!!! I have everything sorted was just about to flash the drive and what pops up? "Hardware write-protect enabled, cannot flash full rom firmware." I wonder can I still dual boot or is that still considered full rom firmware 🤔
Get rid of the write protection, then go from there. You should listen to @Proteus, I'm basically
a noob, compared to him and well, everyone. :)

liammbreen

Downloaded
0 bytes
Uploaded
5 GB
Ratio
-
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 1 months
  • Processor: 1.6GHz quad-core Intel Celeron N3150 (quad-core, 3MB cache, up to 2.08GHz with Turbo Boost)
These are the specs I pulled from the net for YOUR machine using Acer R11 Chromebook in search.

1st off, You will need to use something like puppy linux or linuxlite. Problems below:

2) Ram is suffieient, but it is shared memory so if video is getting 1gb then 3gb left for system, which with a celeron isnt great.
3) 32gb drive is prolly a built-in non expandable flash chip type drive. NOT a lot of space and relatively slow.
4) I did a similar one a year ago, and had to install an OLD version of linux mint on it, 17.3 to be exact. NOTHING else would work.

Try burning the linux to flash drive, boot off flash drive, then try to install it.
Will definitely try that I'm just looking at running python because I'm trying to teach myself to code. It sounds crazy but I do have a port for an sd card so I can always expand on storage. Do you reckon I can even use it for coding? I've been practising on my phone but I'm going cross-eyed from the small screen. Also will I know straight away which screw i need to remove?

Proteus

acta non verba
⚡OS Master
Uploader
Power User
Windows Modifier
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
207 GB
Uploaded
35.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
218 (230)
Member for 5 years
Will definitely try that I'm just looking at running python because I'm trying to teach myself to code. It sounds crazy but I do have a port for an sd card so I can always expand on storage. Do you reckon I can even use it for coding? I've been practising on my phone but I'm going cross-eyed from the small screen. Also will I know straight away which screw i need to remove?
no clue on the screw. Im sure there are guides on the net tho.

RedDove

⭐ VIP
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
119.8 GB
Uploaded
44 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 9 years
The image I posted shows what the screw should look like, it has four splits,
well, it should be a screw that looks different from the others, when you see it, you should know.
I hope that helps.

Cyler

🤴 Super Admin
⚡OS Master
Downloaded
510.5 GB
Uploaded
26.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1 (1)
Member for 7 years
Since my friends answered above, I won't go into how to add Linux or whatever OS but focus on the fact you want to learn Python. There is another way as long as you have a... browser.

Google Collaborate or Colab for short, is an online service that will give you a working "PC" with linux and Python running ready as you log in. You work on a hosted Jupyter Notebook that requires no setup to use and provides free access to computing resources, including GPUs and TPUs. Colab is especially well suited to machine learning, data science, and education.

https://colab.research.google.com

Of course, you need to google and get more info but I can tell you I have used it for 5 years now, and its amazing. The only issue is that a book only runs for about 12 Hours and then you have to restart, but since you can save the code on a google drive, its not a real issue. For educational reasons its simply perfect.

Sharrow

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
368.3 GB
Uploaded
634.3 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 4 years
Liam my man!! I told ya that this forum rocks!! Welcome to TeamOS!!
:mb:

I can deal with the screw issue if ya get the machine to me.. :)

And our most esteemed brother Cyler has given you a new aspect to persue..

Enjoy the site mate.. :h:

:)

arachnoid

Downloaded
153.3 GB
Uploaded
316 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
Theres a guide here if it helps
https://medium.com/@simstems/how-i-got-the-acer-chromebook-r11-cb5-132t-to-run-parrot-security-os-without-crouton-d282a110060a

Last edited by a moderator:

liammbreen

Downloaded
0 bytes
Uploaded
5 GB
Ratio
-
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 1 months
Liam my man!! I told ya that this forum rocks!! Welcome to TeamOS!!
:mb:

I can deal with the screw issue if ya get the machine to me.. :)

And our most esteemed brother Cyler has given you a new aspect to persue..

Enjoy the site mate.. :h:

:)
Your the best man thanks for the advice 👍

znop01

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
203.4 GB
Uploaded
1.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 6 years

Google: "How to install Linux on Chromebook Medium Prasanna - Jan 14, 2024"...​

liammbreen

Downloaded
0 bytes
Uploaded
5 GB
Ratio
-
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 1 months

Hey man sorry to bother you first of all I just want to say thanks for all the help. I've removed my write screw and now I'm able to access the boot menu. I downloaded Linux mint XFCE on my windows computer and also downloaded unetbootin. I used unetbootin to create my bootable USB plugged it into my chromebook and Its telling me the boot failed as I need to install a 64bit UEFI OS. I double checked the file and I did infact install the 64bit file version of Linux mint XFCE. Can you give me any suggestions on why it won't boot into my USB. Do I have to find a special version of it that supports UEFI.

Cyborg

Super Moderator
Uploader
Downloaded
248.1 GB
Uploaded
8.6 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
5 (5)
Member for 6 years
Hey man sorry to bother you first of all I just want to say thanks for all the help. I've removed my write screw and now I'm able to access the boot menu. I downloaded Linux mint XFCE on my windows computer and also downloaded unetbootin. I used unetbootin to create my bootable USB plugged it into my chromebook and Its telling me the boot failed as I need to install a 64bit UEFI OS. I double checked the file and I did infact install the 64bit file version of Linux mint XFCE. Can you give me any suggestions on why it won't boot into my USB. Do I have to find a special version of it that supports UEFI.
you might need to disable secure boot and possibly tpm in bios to install linux mint I did find this guide for accessing the bios https://jonastechknowhow.com/how-to-access-acer-chromebook-bios/

Proteus

acta non verba
⚡OS Master
Uploader
Power User
Windows Modifier
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
207 GB
Uploaded
35.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
218 (230)
Member for 5 years
use Rufus and create a UEFI boot media on the USB instead of MBR

Sharrow

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
368.3 GB
Uploaded
634.3 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 4 years
use Rufus and create a UEFI boot media on the USB instead of MBR
I agree with Proteus.. give that a shot. (Like)